Sights

GAIUS LABERIUS

A tombstone of a seven-year-old Roman boy Gaius Laberius holding a ball with hexagons joined in the manner of a net-like ornament. The symbol of a real leather ball, it is considered firm evidence that football in Europe was first played in the Cetinska Krajina Region. It was found in the Tilurium site, in the locality of Gardun, and dates back to the 2nd century.

Today the tombstone is built into the front wall of the Perković family-owned stone building in Vrlička ulica at number 10 in Sinj. Made of limestone, the monument is 113 centimetres high and 46 centimetres wide. At the bottom there is a two-part inscription, the first part of the inscription being in a well-defined frame and informing about Gaius Laberius, whereas the second part is an inscription by an unkonown author dedicated to the boy. The central part is a round medallion framed with ornaments, bearing a portrait of the boy who holds the ball in his right hand. At the top of the monument there is a frieze showing a kantharos (a large two-handle vase), a dolphin and the head of Medusa (in ancient mythology, the personification of evil) and a triangular gable with acroteria (plastic ornaments of tops and corners) in the shape of lion’s paws. The head of Atis is sculptured in the triangular gable. Even though football was played at Gardun among Roman soldiers and sons of the rich, originally the game was Illyrian and the Delmates had played it long before the Roman troops arrived. This is further proven by the fact that in no locality other than Gardun throughout the historical Roman Empire, a football-related pattern or image has been found. In 1969, the international football association (FIFA) dedicated a cover of its official journal FIFA NEWS (issue 71), headlined Archaeology and football, to the archaeological discovery of the amateur archaeologist Josip Bepo Britvić. According to the FIFA, this discovery is a piece of information significant for both archaeology and football fans. (Delmates VS Romans match). Download: Pages from FIFA News No. 71 - April 1969, pages 1-5.pdf

AT THE SPRING

The first public sculpture by Stipe Sikirica (1957), the statue of a girl drinking water from the spring. The people of Sinj call it Luca. The statue is placed in a green space in the town centre, near the Church of the Miraculous Madonna of Sinj.

MONUMENT TO AN ALKAR

One of the most representative symbols of Sinj, a bright sculpture of an Alkar is a work of the academic sculptor Stipe Sikirica. It was set in 1965 at the very beginning of the Alka Tournament Course (Alkarsko trkalište), called Biljeg, a place from which the Alkari start to gallop.

PETROVAC FOUNTAIN

The fountain, placed in front of the building of Sinj Municipal Court, was raised by Mayor Petar Tripalo in 1878, and it bears his name. It is supplied with water from the Miletin spring, located in the south-west of the old fortress of Sinj.

FATHER PAVAO VUČKOVIĆ

The monument to a famous Franciscan is a work of the academic sculptor Kuzma Kovačić. The statue is 2.8 metres high and is placed at the eastern Town gates. Father Pavao is known as the leader of the people of Rama and the Franciscans, for whom Sinj and the Cetinska Krajina Region became a new home in 1687 after they had fled the Ottoman danger, accompanied by the intercession of the image of the Mother of Mercy. He further founded both the monastery and the sanctuary of the Miraculous Madonna of Sinj.

PIAZZA FOUNTAIN

The piazza fountain (popularly known as funtana) was raised by Mayor Antonio Buglian in 1852. A year later the piazza was paved, and street lamps (ferali), the iron lamp-posts, were also placed there.

ALKA KNIGHTS COURT (KVARTIRI)

The name of the Kvartiri (Fr. quartier – lodging, military camp) is indicative of the fort’s original purpose, that is, the barracks for the Croatian cavalry (Cavalleria croata, Croati a cavallo). It was built in 1760 as a square fort with a two-building complex. Each complex includes two square towers and two inner courtyards separated by the stables. A complex could house four companies of horsemen, together with their horses. Throughout history the fort was used by all the armies present in Sinj, particularly by the French Army in the early 19th century, and the Austrian Army. It was the time when Home Guard three-storey barracks was added to the fort.

Before the Alka Knights Court was built, compulsory protective archaeological research had been carried out in order to get a complete insight into construction and reconstruction work on the fort in the course of the 18th, 19th and 20th centuries. The architectural foundations of the south tower were found, including the water reservoir, the rainfall drainage system as well as remnants of the paving, the flooring and cobble pavements. Fragments of polished and industrial kitchen potteries, glass fragments, numerous ceramic pipes, Venetian coins and objects of metal date from the Late Middle Ages and the Modern Age.The Alka Knights Court (Kvartiri) is cultural property under protection of the Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Croatia.

GREAT BRIDGE (ALKAR'S BRIDGE)

A large bridge over the Gorućica stream, a tributary of the Cetina, was built by Sinj Governor Paolo Emilio Canalis in 1784. Downstream of the Bridge, above an arch cut in bugnato stone, there is a built-in tablet bearing the year of construction and an inscription reading “An ornament to Sinj, comfort to passengers and to the trade benefit”. It is located just off the place from which the Alkari start to gallop, called Biljeg. The Great Bridge ic cultural property under protection of the Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Croatia.

THREE GENERATIONS MONUMENT

A monumental sculpture with a fountain, by Ivo Filipović Grčić from Sinj, is placed in the centre of the town park. Strongly symbolic, it represents the three men of Sinj holding the alka ring with their arms lifted. They are dressed in men’s folk costumes of Sinj.

SINJ FRANCISCAN GRAMMAR SCHOOL WITH THE PUBLIC WORK RIGHT

As the oldest secondary school in the Dalmatian hinterland, it started work in the academic year of 1838/39, after monastic schools in the three monasteries of the Franciscan Province of the Most Holy Redeemer had been joined. Through the 1854 reorganisation it acquired the right of public work. Sinj Franciscan Grammar School is also the first secondary school in southern Croatia which introduced the Croatian language as a language of instruction. The Alka Knights Court (Kvartiri) is cultural property under protection of the Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Croatia.

DANEK VILLA

A revival-style house in the centre of Sinj was built by the Polish immigrant Adolf Danek. The eastern façade of the three-storey house is ornamented with diagonally-set ashlar blocks and a terrace fenced in a classicist manner, whereas the openings have iron edging. An ornamental prominent cornice is set of the two-storey north wing, whereas a two-wing opening with a wrought iron fence is reinforced with monumental sculptures of caryatid and atlas. There used to be a garden west of the house. The Danek Villa is immovable cultural property under protection of the Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Croatia.

TRIPALO PALACE

It was built in the 19th century, in the very centre of Sinj, near the Church of the Miraculous Madonna of Sinj. It is owned by the Tripalo family, a reputable Sinj family.The north façade is richly decorated with ornaments cut in stone – prominent stone cornices, a revival-style balcony, a prominent finishing cornice and an attic with ornamental heraldic fields. The original spatial disposition of the house has been preserved, as well as the first floor inventory from the time when the Palace was built (furniture, curtains, lighting fixtures, wall illustrations). The building has also a large arched basement. A garden, orihinally in baroque, stretches south. There is also a greenhouse. Due to its historical value, the Palace has been given the landmark status. The building bears a tablet on which there is an inscription reading ″The stone from Glavica of St Nicholas near Selci on the island of Brač, the stone-cutter Nikola A. Štambuk. Friendship I cherish more than gold, the door open to a friend in 1883.″

DINKO ŠIMUNOVIĆ BUST

It was sculptured by Ivan Meštrović in 1932, honouring the special edition of Šimunović’s narration Alkar. At that time, Šimunović was seriously ill and lacking in money so that a group of prominent artists initiated a reissue of his Alkar. They included Vilko Gecan, Joza Kljaković, Fran Kršinić, Omer Mujadžić, Vanja Radauš i Marijan Trepše. Miroslav Kirin was the author of the dust jacket design.

“... Huge Sinj field on the hot summer sun seemed even greater because the bluish mist concealed to the eyes the far away hills. Everything was calm in the midday heat, and the distant, distant mountains of stone became even bluer, peaking still behind that low, thin mist. It seemed as the whole Krajina was in a grand summer sleep, or as it was resting after the angry fight and heroic deeds ...” (an excerpt from D. Šimunović's Alkar)

STATIONS OF THE CROSS AT THE OLD TOWN

From the foothill to the votive church at the Old Town the Way of the Cross is built. Stations were sculptured by the most prominent Croatian sculptors.

FORMER RAILWAY STATION BUILDING

The railway, also known as both rera and ferata, joined Sinj to Klis and Split from 1903 to 1962. It was very significant for Sinj cultural and economic development. link to the timeline - rera

TRIPALO VILLA

It was raised in southern Sinj in 1920 in Art Nouveau style. The entire property is surrounded by a stone wall. In the north-east part of the villa there is the entrance gate with forged doorframes, dating back to the time when the building was under construction. Although raised in the town, it is a country-style building and is quite exceptional in Sinj, but also in greater Dalmatia. The Tripalo Villa is immovable cultural property under protection of the Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Croatia.

VJERA VILLA

It bears the name of the owner. The house was bought by the Tripalo family from the then landowner and lawyer Ramagnolo, for their daughter Vjera on the occasion of her marriage. Sinj Tax Administration office is at present located in the restored villa.